Jan 15, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
In many cases, people wonder if a suspension might dull a player’s edge, especially if it isn’t the first instance. Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers doesn’t expect to change the way he plays coming off a three-gamer on Wednesday, which only delights his head coach.
“I don’t think I need to be changing my game. I’m not the type of guy that’s reckless or looking to injure somebody,” Myers said. “I think on that play, I was just trying to be aggressive and I think at my height and with my size, I think it’s going to happen sometimes. You have to be aware of it for sure, but I don’t think I want to change my game.”
While the 23-year-old stands at around 6-foot-8, he’s not known as physically punishing defenseman on the same level as other giants like Zdeno Chara. But aggressiveness isn’t always merely about throwing your body around, as Sabres bench boss Ted Nolan notes.
“We really like that mentality and I’m glad he said that. We don’t want him to lose that. We actually want him to be a little bit more aggressive,” Nolan said. “And when I say ‘aggressive,’ it’s aggressive carrying the puck, it’s aggressive shooting, it’s aggressive skating, it’s those type of things. If he play’s aggressively, he’s going to be a great, great player.”
It could be a physical night, however, as the Sabres face off against their increasingly bitter neighbors the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday.
Here’s video of the Myers suspension, if you need to jog your memory:
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)