Jan 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the other shoe to drop. Only moments after the Oilers announced they’d traded goalie Devan Dubnyk to Nashville, it’s being widely reported (since confirmed) that Edmonton has acquired goalie Ben Scrivens from Los Angeles for a third-round draft pick.
Scrivens played well in his short stint with the Kings, going 7-5-4 with a .931 save percentage. But the similarly solid play of Martin Jones, plus the return of starter Jonathan Quick from injury, apparently made Scrivens expendable.
In Edmonton, Scrivens will be reunited with his former AHL (Toronto Marlies) coach, Dallas Eakins.
Like Dubnyk, Scrivens is a pending unrestricted free agent. (Ditto for the Oilers’ other goalie, Ilya Bryzgalov.)
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)