Jan 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the other shoe to drop. Only moments after the Oilers announced they’d traded goalie Devan Dubnyk to Nashville, it’s being widely reported (since confirmed) that Edmonton has acquired goalie Ben Scrivens from Los Angeles for a third-round draft pick.
Scrivens played well in his short stint with the Kings, going 7-5-4 with a .931 save percentage. But the similarly solid play of Martin Jones, plus the return of starter Jonathan Quick from injury, apparently made Scrivens expendable.
In Edmonton, Scrivens will be reunited with his former AHL (Toronto Marlies) coach, Dallas Eakins.
Like Dubnyk, Scrivens is a pending unrestricted free agent. (Ditto for the Oilers’ other goalie, Ilya Bryzgalov.)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)