Jan 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EST
Dubnyk, the club’s first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has spent his entire five-year career in Edmonton, the last two as the club’s No. 1 netminder. He’s in the last of a two-year, $7 million deal and will be a UFA at season’s end.
Hendricks, part of Nashville’s big summer free agent spree, is in the first of a four-year, $7.4 million deal. The 32-year-old has two goals and four points in 44 games this year, but is regarded as an energy/checking guy that can win faceoffs, kill penalties, fight and score in the shootout (at least he did in Washington.)
Some ramifications of this deal:
– According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, the Oilers will retain half of Dubnyk’s salary.
– It’s now officially Ilya Bryzgalov’s net in Edmonton.
– What does the Dubnyk acquisition mean for the health of Preds No. 1 Pekka Rinne?
– Is Nashville in regret mode regarding all the money it dropped this summer? This was GM David Poile just seven months ago:
“We have never been this active in free agency and for sure (on) the first day, signing five players,” Poile said. “Free agency can be a whirlwind where people go a little bit crazy. I will let you judge that. We had a clear, definite plan going into this. We wanted to identify specific areas of need, and I think we signed players that fill specific roles for our hockey club.
“I think all the players that we signed today are going to make us better next year.”
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (71)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)