Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s understandable that Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is frustrated with the state of things, especially as his team couldn’t hold onto a 3-2 lead and eventually succumbed to the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3 on Wednesday. He made it pretty clear that he believes the Caps blew it, as the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
“We played a pretty good game but we figured out a way to lose it tonight,” Oates said.
The Capitals either held a lead or were tied with the Penguins all night until giving up those two goals to lose. Times have been frustrating for Washington, as the team has lost three games in a row and seven of nine, all by slim margins.
Oates said “We blew it” or variations thereof numerous times; thought #Caps needed line changes on plays that led to Pens’ 3rd and 4th goals
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 16, 2014
Of course, while the Capitals may feel a little demoralized, it was a special night for Olli Maatta, who scored the first game-winner of his career.
Maybe it shouldn’t have been a big surprise, either:
Before the game, Jussi Jokinen told Olli Maatta “it should be time to score a goal.” Olli told us after the game: “I listened.”
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) January 16, 2014
Oates & Co. wish he tuned him out, instead.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)