Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s understandable that Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is frustrated with the state of things, especially as his team couldn’t hold onto a 3-2 lead and eventually succumbed to the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3 on Wednesday. He made it pretty clear that he believes the Caps blew it, as the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
“We played a pretty good game but we figured out a way to lose it tonight,” Oates said.
The Capitals either held a lead or were tied with the Penguins all night until giving up those two goals to lose. Times have been frustrating for Washington, as the team has lost three games in a row and seven of nine, all by slim margins.
Oates said “We blew it” or variations thereof numerous times; thought #Caps needed line changes on plays that led to Pens’ 3rd and 4th goals
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 16, 2014
Of course, while the Capitals may feel a little demoralized, it was a special night for Olli Maatta, who scored the first game-winner of his career.
Maybe it shouldn’t have been a big surprise, either:
Before the game, Jussi Jokinen told Olli Maatta “it should be time to score a goal.” Olli told us after the game: “I listened.”
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) January 16, 2014
Oates & Co. wish he tuned him out, instead.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)