Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s understandable that Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is frustrated with the state of things, especially as his team couldn’t hold onto a 3-2 lead and eventually succumbed to the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3 on Wednesday. He made it pretty clear that he believes the Caps blew it, as the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
“We played a pretty good game but we figured out a way to lose it tonight,” Oates said.
The Capitals either held a lead or were tied with the Penguins all night until giving up those two goals to lose. Times have been frustrating for Washington, as the team has lost three games in a row and seven of nine, all by slim margins.
Oates said “We blew it” or variations thereof numerous times; thought #Caps needed line changes on plays that led to Pens’ 3rd and 4th goals
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 16, 2014
Of course, while the Capitals may feel a little demoralized, it was a special night for Olli Maatta, who scored the first game-winner of his career.
Maybe it shouldn’t have been a big surprise, either:
Before the game, Jussi Jokinen told Olli Maatta “it should be time to score a goal.” Olli told us after the game: “I listened.”
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) January 16, 2014
Oates & Co. wish he tuned him out, instead.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)