Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s understandable that Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is frustrated with the state of things, especially as his team couldn’t hold onto a 3-2 lead and eventually succumbed to the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3 on Wednesday. He made it pretty clear that he believes the Caps blew it, as the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
“We played a pretty good game but we figured out a way to lose it tonight,” Oates said.
The Capitals either held a lead or were tied with the Penguins all night until giving up those two goals to lose. Times have been frustrating for Washington, as the team has lost three games in a row and seven of nine, all by slim margins.
Oates said “We blew it” or variations thereof numerous times; thought #Caps needed line changes on plays that led to Pens’ 3rd and 4th goals
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 16, 2014
Of course, while the Capitals may feel a little demoralized, it was a special night for Olli Maatta, who scored the first game-winner of his career.
Maybe it shouldn’t have been a big surprise, either:
Before the game, Jussi Jokinen told Olli Maatta “it should be time to score a goal.” Olli told us after the game: “I listened.”
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) January 16, 2014
Oates & Co. wish he tuned him out, instead.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)