Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s understandable that Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is frustrated with the state of things, especially as his team couldn’t hold onto a 3-2 lead and eventually succumbed to the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-3 on Wednesday. He made it pretty clear that he believes the Caps blew it, as the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
“We played a pretty good game but we figured out a way to lose it tonight,” Oates said.
The Capitals either held a lead or were tied with the Penguins all night until giving up those two goals to lose. Times have been frustrating for Washington, as the team has lost three games in a row and seven of nine, all by slim margins.
Oates said “We blew it” or variations thereof numerous times; thought #Caps needed line changes on plays that led to Pens’ 3rd and 4th goals
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 16, 2014
Of course, while the Capitals may feel a little demoralized, it was a special night for Olli Maatta, who scored the first game-winner of his career.
Maybe it shouldn’t have been a big surprise, either:
Before the game, Jussi Jokinen told Olli Maatta “it should be time to score a goal.” Olli told us after the game: “I listened.”
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) January 16, 2014
Oates & Co. wish he tuned him out, instead.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)