Jan 15, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Claude Julien acknowledged the struggles affecting netminder Tuukka Rask.
“Right now [Rask] feels great. He doesn’t feel tired,” Julien said, per the Boston Herald. “He just doesn’t feel his game is where it should be. We all agree on that.”
Rask, in the first of an eight-year, $56 million deal, has fallen on hard times lately. He’s gone 2-7-0 since shutting out Ottawa on Dec. 27, getting hooked twice — once in a 4-3 loss to the Sens, and again in a 4-2 loss to L.A.
While he has posted some good efforts over this stretch — including a 36-save win over Winnipeg and a 26-save shutout over San Jose — Rask has been inconsistent. He’s struggled to follow up one good performance with a second solid outing, and has a .898 save percentage in January.
That said, Julien wasn’t prepared to pin all of Boston’s latest issues on Rask.
“You’ve seen a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes from our end — mismanaging the puck and turnovers and our penalty kill running around and giving guys good opportunities,” he explained. “There’s lot of blame to go around.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)