Jan 15, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
It was a bold move, even if Byfuglien previously served as a winger with the Chicago Blackhawks. Since then Paul Maurice has taken over as the Jets’ new bench boss, but he’s decided to keep Noel’s experiment going.
“Can you imagine having a guy that’s that big, that can move like that and with hands like that, with some of his creative instincts,” Maurice told the Winnipeg Sun. “I’m going to leave him there until I see something that I need to change.
“That may be next week, it may be next month, it may be never. I’m not making a decision until I need to.”
Byfuglien is out of practice in his new role and consequently doesn’t feel comfortable in it, but he sees it as a fun challenge. Winnipeg will play against Calgary on Thursday.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)