Jan 15, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
It was a bold move, even if Byfuglien previously served as a winger with the Chicago Blackhawks. Since then Paul Maurice has taken over as the Jets’ new bench boss, but he’s decided to keep Noel’s experiment going.
“Can you imagine having a guy that’s that big, that can move like that and with hands like that, with some of his creative instincts,” Maurice told the Winnipeg Sun. “I’m going to leave him there until I see something that I need to change.
“That may be next week, it may be next month, it may be never. I’m not making a decision until I need to.”
Byfuglien is out of practice in his new role and consequently doesn’t feel comfortable in it, but he sees it as a fun challenge. Winnipeg will play against Calgary on Thursday.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 27
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 20
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22