Jan 15, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
New team, same result.
That’s the story for Keith Ballard following his fourth consecutive healthy scratch on Tuesday, as he watched from the press box while Minnesota lost 3-0 to Ottawa.
“I’ve been through this before,” Ballard said, per the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “It’s up to me to be a good teammate, to be positive, to work and to make sure that I’ve done everything I can on the ice and in the gym — I’ve watched a ton of video — and to make sure that when I do play, I’m ready to go.”
Ballard experienced something similar during his three seasons in Vancouver, when he routinely ran afoul of head coach Alain Vigneault and often found himself in the press box. The low point might’ve come during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, when Ballard was parked in favor of then-22-year-old Chris Tanev, an undrafted rookie that had 29 games of NHL experience.
Vancouver bought out Ballard during this summer’s compliance window and he immediately signed with Minnesota, which looked as though it’d be a quality arrangement. Despite a series of injuries, Ballard played well when called upon — but a brutal stretch in December (one point in 14 games, minus-10 rating) cemented his fate. He hasn’t played since Jan. 7 and appears to have been passed on the blueline depth chart by Jonathon Blum.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 10
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 14
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 49
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)