Jan 15, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
If you’re groping for symbolism from the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 4-3 shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres, maybe the Buds going 3-for-3 on their shootout attempts would do the trick:
Actually, maybe it’s the win overall that really captures the polarizing sentiments the Leafs often draw. For some, it was a sloppy victory against the league’s worst team. Others will be quicker to take the optimistic side, which is that Toronto is now on a much-needed three-game winning streak.
One thing that’s not subjective: they now lead the league in shootout wins, as they improved to 9-4 in that category on the season.
There’s also no denying that many of their wins have come beyond regulation lately. Eight of their 11 wins since Nov. 23 have come either in the shootout or overtime. (Six came in shootouts.)
The happier bottom line for the Maple Leafs is that they find themselves in a comfortable position as of this moment, as their 24-20-5 record gives them 53 standings points, placing them fifth overall in the East at the time of this writing.
In other words, the questions of the Leafs’ validity as a legitimate playoff contender probably won’t go away, so apologies/enjoy.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)