Jan 15, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
If you’re groping for symbolism from the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 4-3 shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres, maybe the Buds going 3-for-3 on their shootout attempts would do the trick:
Actually, maybe it’s the win overall that really captures the polarizing sentiments the Leafs often draw. For some, it was a sloppy victory against the league’s worst team. Others will be quicker to take the optimistic side, which is that Toronto is now on a much-needed three-game winning streak.
One thing that’s not subjective: they now lead the league in shootout wins, as they improved to 9-4 in that category on the season.
There’s also no denying that many of their wins have come beyond regulation lately. Eight of their 11 wins since Nov. 23 have come either in the shootout or overtime. (Six came in shootouts.)
The happier bottom line for the Maple Leafs is that they find themselves in a comfortable position as of this moment, as their 24-20-5 record gives them 53 standings points, placing them fifth overall in the East at the time of this writing.
In other words, the questions of the Leafs’ validity as a legitimate playoff contender probably won’t go away, so apologies/enjoy.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)