Jan 15, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
If you’re groping for symbolism from the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 4-3 shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres, maybe the Buds going 3-for-3 on their shootout attempts would do the trick:
Actually, maybe it’s the win overall that really captures the polarizing sentiments the Leafs often draw. For some, it was a sloppy victory against the league’s worst team. Others will be quicker to take the optimistic side, which is that Toronto is now on a much-needed three-game winning streak.
One thing that’s not subjective: they now lead the league in shootout wins, as they improved to 9-4 in that category on the season.
There’s also no denying that many of their wins have come beyond regulation lately. Eight of their 11 wins since Nov. 23 have come either in the shootout or overtime. (Six came in shootouts.)
The happier bottom line for the Maple Leafs is that they find themselves in a comfortable position as of this moment, as their 24-20-5 record gives them 53 standings points, placing them fifth overall in the East at the time of this writing.
In other words, the questions of the Leafs’ validity as a legitimate playoff contender probably won’t go away, so apologies/enjoy.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)