Jan 14, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
With the temperature rising between the Vancouver Canucks and L.A. Kings in a Pacific Division showdown, Brown and Kesler dropped the gloves just six seconds into the second period. Kesler got the decided edge in the fight, landing several shots and getting Brown’s jersey over his head.
That fight was likely payback for Brown’s collision with goalie Roberto Luongo nine days ago. The result of that was Luongo suffering an ankle injury.
Brown and Kesler will be teammates for the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team in Sochi, Russia, in a few weeks time.
Kesler on fighting Olympic teammate Brown: "Everything that happened with Roberto last game, he knew from the opening puck drop he … (1/2)—
Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) January 14, 2014
Also, Canucks’ enforcer Tom Sestito was ejected early in the first period after he grabbed Jordan Nolan and thumped him with several punches off a faceoff. Sestito, who was credited with one second of ice time, received 27 penalty minutes on the infraction.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)