Jan 14, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks may feel like they proved to the National Hockey League that they won’t be pushed around. But they still lost, missing out on two points against a divisional opponent.
The Canucks lost 1-0 to the L.A. Kings on Monday, in a testy, chippy, sometimes dirty meeting – as someone wise seemed to predict earlier in the day when setting up this match-up – of two Pacific Division rivals that have clearly grown to dislike each other.
The two teams combined for 109 penalty minutes, including a pair of fights, plenty of rough stuff during play and after whistles, too.
And then there were the missed calls, like Dale Weise‘s blatant slew foot on Kings’ defenseman Drew Doughty in the neutral zone during the second period. It went undetected by officials. Doughty was slow to get up but remained in the game.
Dustin Brown, the central focus of the Canucks’ hostilities for a collision between him and Vancouver’s No. 1 puck stopper Roberto Luongo nine days ago, fought his U.S. Olympic teammate Ryan Kesler at the drop of the puck in the second period.
Brown scored the lone goal of tonight’s game, 24 seconds into the third period.
Tom Sestito, who had been promoted to Vancouver’s third line as he worked to improve his game over the course of the season, was ejected less than three minutes into the first period, after just one second of ice time.
The angst began immediately as soon as the puck was dropped, when Canucks’ forward Zack Kassian began jousting with Brown, eventually taking a penalty for hooking the Kings’ captain to the ice.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)