Jan 14, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Matt Read will return to the Philadelphia lineup tonight.
Steve Downie won’t.
Read, who has missed the last six games with a concussion, will draw back in when the Flyers take on the Sabres in Buffalo on Tuesday — but Downie, who was a healthy scratch for Sunday’s loss to the Rangers, will again find himself in the press box.
Parked because of what Flyers head coach Craig Berube called a lack of intensity, Downie finds himself in an odd spot. He’s clearly not having the same effect he was prior to returning from an upper-body injury in late December — in his last eight games, Downie has zero points and 10 penalty minutes and has struggled to find chemistry with a variety of linemates.
That said, it’s strange that Downie is a scratch for a second consecutive time, especially since the Flyers looked flat and listless at the start of Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers.
As for Read, he’ll be looking to regain the form shown prior to getting concussed. He had five points in eight games (more like seven, given he was hurt against Calgary on Dec. 31) and received over 20 minutes of ice time in shootout wins over the Oilers and Canucks.
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 0
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 8
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 10
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)