Jan 14, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins saw quite a few injury updates on Tuesday, and as usual, there was both good and bad news. Let’s take a look at what’s up in tidy bullet points.
- The Penguins placed Joe Vitale (upper body) and Brian Gibbons (lower body) on the injured reserve. Vitale’s assignment is retroactive to Jan. 10 while Gibbons’ goes back to Jan. 11. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Vitale is dealing with a wrist issue and will miss about three weeks.
- Paul Martin (tibia) and Jayson Megna (knee) will be evaluated by team doctors on Wednesday to see how far along their respective rehabs are. There’s some optimism that Martin may return in the fairly near future, though not Wednesday, according to the Tribune-Review.
- The team recalled Nick Drazenovic from the AHL with all of these bumps and bruises for their forwards.
Overall, the Eastern Conference’s top team is dealing with some issues, but it sounds like they might get some injured players back (James Neal, perhaps?) in the fairly near future. They only play on Wednesday and then get a break until Monday, Jan. 20, so that could provide nice opportunities for the team to lick its collective wounds.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 26
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 97
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)