Jan 14, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins saw quite a few injury updates on Tuesday, and as usual, there was both good and bad news. Let’s take a look at what’s up in tidy bullet points.
- The Penguins placed Joe Vitale (upper body) and Brian Gibbons (lower body) on the injured reserve. Vitale’s assignment is retroactive to Jan. 10 while Gibbons’ goes back to Jan. 11. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Vitale is dealing with a wrist issue and will miss about three weeks.
- Paul Martin (tibia) and Jayson Megna (knee) will be evaluated by team doctors on Wednesday to see how far along their respective rehabs are. There’s some optimism that Martin may return in the fairly near future, though not Wednesday, according to the Tribune-Review.
- The team recalled Nick Drazenovic from the AHL with all of these bumps and bruises for their forwards.
Overall, the Eastern Conference’s top team is dealing with some issues, but it sounds like they might get some injured players back (James Neal, perhaps?) in the fairly near future. They only play on Wednesday and then get a break until Monday, Jan. 20, so that could provide nice opportunities for the team to lick its collective wounds.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 26
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50