Jan 14, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins saw quite a few injury updates on Tuesday, and as usual, there was both good and bad news. Let’s take a look at what’s up in tidy bullet points.
- The Penguins placed Joe Vitale (upper body) and Brian Gibbons (lower body) on the injured reserve. Vitale’s assignment is retroactive to Jan. 10 while Gibbons’ goes back to Jan. 11. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Vitale is dealing with a wrist issue and will miss about three weeks.
- Paul Martin (tibia) and Jayson Megna (knee) will be evaluated by team doctors on Wednesday to see how far along their respective rehabs are. There’s some optimism that Martin may return in the fairly near future, though not Wednesday, according to the Tribune-Review.
- The team recalled Nick Drazenovic from the AHL with all of these bumps and bruises for their forwards.
Overall, the Eastern Conference’s top team is dealing with some issues, but it sounds like they might get some injured players back (James Neal, perhaps?) in the fairly near future. They only play on Wednesday and then get a break until Monday, Jan. 20, so that could provide nice opportunities for the team to lick its collective wounds.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)