Jan 14, 2014, 12:08 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets, under their new head coach Paul Maurice, came out like a team on a mission Monday night.
Maurice was named the Jets’ new coach after Claude Noel was fired on Sunday. In Maurice’s debut, the struggling team before him skated all over the Phoenix Coyotes and earned a 5-1 victory on home ice.
The enthusiasm with the Jets’ raucous fan base came back, for one night.
The win improves Winnipeg’s record to 20-23-5. The Jets remain at the bottom of the Central Division, so there’s no room for complacency after just one effort like this.
That is why Maurice canceled the team’s day off scheduled for Tuesday. Instead, they’ll practice, as per Darrin Bauming of TSN 1290 Radio.
“I felt the energy on the bench, the compete on the bench, the way they treated each other on the bench. It was good,” said Maurice, as per the Jets’ Twitter account.
But then, he added: “It’s one game. Tomorrow we’ll go to work like today never happened.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)