Jan 14, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
The New York Islanders fought back from their fair share of deficits in putting together a four-game winning streak and seven-game road run, but they couldn’t climb that mountain again on Tuesday. The Florida Panthers built a 4-0 lead and held on for a 4-2 win to end both of the Isles’ streaks tonight.
Despite all the optimism building in Long Island, the bottom line is that they find themselves in more or less the same place as the Panthers; the Isles are now 18-23-7 while the Panthers improved to 18-21-7.
Perhaps it just highlights an uncomfortable truth for the Islanders amid the surge of good feelings during the last three weeks or so: they still have a long, long way to go.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)