Jan 14, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
How important are the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi to Russian athletes like Alex Ovechkin?
The short answer is, extremely important.
Per the Associated Press, here’s the longer answer, courtesy Ovechkin: “Olympics are probably the most important thing for Russians than any other athletes in the whole world. And since I was a little kid and since everybody was a little kid, their dream was playing in Olympic games, especially if we have a chance to represent our country in Sochi in Russia, it’s unbelievable and it’s going to a great thing. That’s what I mean it’s a strength. I don’t think somebody (is) going to (think) their mission is done to be just on Olympic team. Our mission is to try to win gold medal.”
The last time the Russians won hockey gold at the Olympics was 1992, when they competed as the Unified Team following the break-up of the Soviet Union. That was before NHLers started competing in the Games, which first occurred in 1998.
In 2010, the Russians were dominated 7-3 in the quarterfinals by the host Canadians, who went on to win gold.
While it’s the Russians who will be on home ice in 2014 — and, clearly, Ovechkin believes that will give his country an advantage — there remain questions about the overall talent level of the roster.
Russia plays its first game of the tournament on Feb. 13 versus Slovenia.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)