Jan 14, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Buffalo Sabres host the Philadelphia Flyers at First Niagara Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
Even with 38 games left in their schedule, it’s not controversial or shocking to say that the Sabres won’t make the playoffs. Lately though, they have been decent. That’s thanks in no small part to Ryan Miller‘s efforts.
Americans have to be excited when they see what Miller has managed to do under difficult circumstances in Buffalo as we head towards the 2014 Winter Olympics. He has a 1.77 GAA and .946 save percentage since the start of December.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $2,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Tuesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Flyers bombarded him with 45 shots on goal in their previous meeting to best Buffalo, but even then Miller still came up with 42 saves. In fact, you would need to go back to Nov. 19 to find the last time the Sabres goaltender stopped fewer than 90% of the shots he faced.
Between his overall abilities and his capacity to make some truly stunning saves, it’s no wonder that Buffalo wants to re-sign him even if he’s 33 years old and the team’s firmly in a rebuilding mode. Although backup netminder Jhonas Enroth has often held his own this season despite his 1-8-4 record, Miller has been the team’s MVP by a huge margin.
For the Sabres, goaltending has to remain their strength because they’re typically not capable of matching a team like Philadelphia in a high-scoring game. Buffalo has averaged just 1.61 goals per contest and has only managed to score more than two goals in a game once over its last nine matches.
The Sabres simply haven’t had any noteworthy scoring threats since they traded Thomas Vanek to the New York Islanders. Even Matt Moulson, who was part of their return in that deal, has just 18 points in 31 games with Buffalo.
Meanwhile, the Flyers have no shortage of skilled forwards or, for that matter, motivation. Unlike Buffalo, every point matters to them as they fight for a postseason spot. Philadelphia’s recent surge was stunted with back-to-back losses to Tampa Bay and the New York Rangers over the weekend, but this is an ideal opportunity for the Flyers to get back on track.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The city has terminated the contract.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
You don’t say.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)