Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Desharnais, 27, has 21 points in 44 games during an up-and-down 2013-14 season for Montreal. The Canadiens are dressing seven defensemen because of his absence, as Francis Bouillon has been called into action.
Desharnais is far from the only NHL player afflicted with such illnesses, as the Toronto Maple Leafs (David Clarkson was able to play with it tonight, but Colton Orr was not) and other teams are dealing with this tough time of the year.
On the bright side, this does open the door for some snarky and industrious injury report fodder; it would be refreshing to see someone listed as “day-to-day with an upper respiratory system infection.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32