Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Desharnais, 27, has 21 points in 44 games during an up-and-down 2013-14 season for Montreal. The Canadiens are dressing seven defensemen because of his absence, as Francis Bouillon has been called into action.
Desharnais is far from the only NHL player afflicted with such illnesses, as the Toronto Maple Leafs (David Clarkson was able to play with it tonight, but Colton Orr was not) and other teams are dealing with this tough time of the year.
On the bright side, this does open the door for some snarky and industrious injury report fodder; it would be refreshing to see someone listed as “day-to-day with an upper respiratory system infection.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 0
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 45
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39