Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Desharnais, 27, has 21 points in 44 games during an up-and-down 2013-14 season for Montreal. The Canadiens are dressing seven defensemen because of his absence, as Francis Bouillon has been called into action.
Desharnais is far from the only NHL player afflicted with such illnesses, as the Toronto Maple Leafs (David Clarkson was able to play with it tonight, but Colton Orr was not) and other teams are dealing with this tough time of the year.
On the bright side, this does open the door for some snarky and industrious injury report fodder; it would be refreshing to see someone listed as “day-to-day with an upper respiratory system infection.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 12
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4