Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Desharnais, 27, has 21 points in 44 games during an up-and-down 2013-14 season for Montreal. The Canadiens are dressing seven defensemen because of his absence, as Francis Bouillon has been called into action.
Desharnais is far from the only NHL player afflicted with such illnesses, as the Toronto Maple Leafs (David Clarkson was able to play with it tonight, but Colton Orr was not) and other teams are dealing with this tough time of the year.
On the bright side, this does open the door for some snarky and industrious injury report fodder; it would be refreshing to see someone listed as “day-to-day with an upper respiratory system infection.”
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 39
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6