Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames have been involved in a lot of shutout hockey lately. On Monday, they switched things up, keeping the opposition off the score sheet for a change.
Karri Ramo, the Flames’ 27-year-old goalie, recorded his first career NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. He made 23 saves. It was the sixth time since the holiday break concluded that the Flames have been involved in a game that ended in a shutout.
They’re now 1-5 in those games of late.
“It’s good that it’s (done),” Ramo told the Calgary Herald. “I’m not going to lie — you always think about playing a bunch of games and not having finished one without (giving up) a goal. It’s good to get it out of the way.
“I’m sure that everybody thinks about it. Everyone knows the situation, but you just have to try to focus and play — and play it normally.”
Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes have lost two straight after going on a five-game winning streak. Making it worse: The Hurricanes have been shutout in each of their last two games.
“It’s frustrating. We haven’t scored in six periods now. We have to make sure we get back to that mentality of shooting first and getting second and third whacks at pucks,” Manny Malhotra told the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)