Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
The Calgary Flames have been involved in a lot of shutout hockey lately. On Monday, they switched things up, keeping the opposition off the score sheet for a change.
Karri Ramo, the Flames’ 27-year-old goalie, recorded his first career NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. He made 23 saves. It was the sixth time since the holiday break concluded that the Flames have been involved in a game that ended in a shutout.
They’re now 1-5 in those games of late.
“It’s good that it’s (done),” Ramo told the Calgary Herald. “I’m not going to lie — you always think about playing a bunch of games and not having finished one without (giving up) a goal. It’s good to get it out of the way.
“I’m sure that everybody thinks about it. Everyone knows the situation, but you just have to try to focus and play — and play it normally.”
Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes have lost two straight after going on a five-game winning streak. Making it worse: The Hurricanes have been shutout in each of their last two games.
“It’s frustrating. We haven’t scored in six periods now. We have to make sure we get back to that mentality of shooting first and getting second and third whacks at pucks,” Manny Malhotra told the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)