Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames have been involved in a lot of shutout hockey lately. On Monday, they switched things up, keeping the opposition off the score sheet for a change.
Karri Ramo, the Flames’ 27-year-old goalie, recorded his first career NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. He made 23 saves. It was the sixth time since the holiday break concluded that the Flames have been involved in a game that ended in a shutout.
They’re now 1-5 in those games of late.
“It’s good that it’s (done),” Ramo told the Calgary Herald. “I’m not going to lie — you always think about playing a bunch of games and not having finished one without (giving up) a goal. It’s good to get it out of the way.
“I’m sure that everybody thinks about it. Everyone knows the situation, but you just have to try to focus and play — and play it normally.”
Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes have lost two straight after going on a five-game winning streak. Making it worse: The Hurricanes have been shutout in each of their last two games.
“It’s frustrating. We haven’t scored in six periods now. We have to make sure we get back to that mentality of shooting first and getting second and third whacks at pucks,” Manny Malhotra told the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)