Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames have been involved in a lot of shutout hockey lately. On Monday, they switched things up, keeping the opposition off the score sheet for a change.
Karri Ramo, the Flames’ 27-year-old goalie, recorded his first career NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. He made 23 saves. It was the sixth time since the holiday break concluded that the Flames have been involved in a game that ended in a shutout.
They’re now 1-5 in those games of late.
“It’s good that it’s (done),” Ramo told the Calgary Herald. “I’m not going to lie — you always think about playing a bunch of games and not having finished one without (giving up) a goal. It’s good to get it out of the way.
“I’m sure that everybody thinks about it. Everyone knows the situation, but you just have to try to focus and play — and play it normally.”
Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes have lost two straight after going on a five-game winning streak. Making it worse: The Hurricanes have been shutout in each of their last two games.
“It’s frustrating. We haven’t scored in six periods now. We have to make sure we get back to that mentality of shooting first and getting second and third whacks at pucks,” Manny Malhotra told the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)