Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames have been involved in a lot of shutout hockey lately. On Monday, they switched things up, keeping the opposition off the score sheet for a change.
Karri Ramo, the Flames’ 27-year-old goalie, recorded his first career NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. He made 23 saves. It was the sixth time since the holiday break concluded that the Flames have been involved in a game that ended in a shutout.
They’re now 1-5 in those games of late.
“It’s good that it’s (done),” Ramo told the Calgary Herald. “I’m not going to lie — you always think about playing a bunch of games and not having finished one without (giving up) a goal. It’s good to get it out of the way.
“I’m sure that everybody thinks about it. Everyone knows the situation, but you just have to try to focus and play — and play it normally.”
Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes have lost two straight after going on a five-game winning streak. Making it worse: The Hurricanes have been shutout in each of their last two games.
“It’s frustrating. We haven’t scored in six periods now. We have to make sure we get back to that mentality of shooting first and getting second and third whacks at pucks,” Manny Malhotra told the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)