Ducks GM says ‘there’s no chance in [blank]‘ Hiller gets traded

Jan 14, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

jonashillerceleap AP

After quite a lull, the trade rumor mill is heating up again, but Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray told ESPN that you can cross red-hot goalie (and pending free agent) Jonas Hiller off the list of potential targets.

Actually, Murray’s comments were a whole lot more entertaining than that:

“There’s not a chance in [blank] that I’m moving Jonas Hiller,” Murray said on Tuesday. “I’m tired of hearing about the rumors, I can tell you Jonas is not going anywhere.”

The 31-year-old is on a scorching 14-game winning streak, which included shutting out the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday after winning against the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday.

To some, that might make the Swiss-born netminder indispensable. Others may believe that his trade value has never been higher, so with both Viktor Fasth and Frederik Andersen under contract in 2014-15, the Ducks should gear up for a run by moving the impressive goalie.

… Obviously Murray doesn’t like hearing about the latter idea, though.

1. thomasvanek - Jan 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Seriously? You can’t say H E double hockey sticks on here.

2. penguins87and71 - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM

The Ducks are the best team in the NHL so it makes no sense to me as why the Ducks would trade Jonas Hiller. I mean Murray would have to be stupid to trade this guy his 2nd in wins and he has recorded 3 shutouts this year. The Ducks have a great shot at the cup so why trade a really good guy.

• esracerx46 - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Would you do it if the Flyers offered someone like Couturier and picks?

• hazlydose - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Why would they make that trade. Can the ducks trust Fasth or Anderson to take them to a Stanley Cup? They are in it now. They don’t want picks, they want a cup.

• esracerx46 - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

To be honest, I think they can. They can get a piece that helps them now and in the future. I think theyd have to be pretty blown away to do so, but I wouldn’t rule it out if I were the GM. It seems no matter who they put in net, that goalie thrives. Ever since Giguere. The Ducks are the main reason Ray Emery is in the NHL

• flash8910 - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM

The way the flyers trade, they would take Andersen.

3. badgerhockey77 - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM

TRADE GIBSON!!! The kid needs to play. He’ll end up like Schneider, wasting his talent on the bench. The Ducks have four legit NHL goalies. They could improve other areas of their team.

• theheez - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

This is his first year in the pros and he doesn’t have one NHL start. His time will come. Why would they trade the future? He has been playing and getting experience in the AHL, which will only make him better when he does finally debut.

• flash8910 - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

That’s just silly. If the timing works out. Ducks resign hiller for 2-3 years, and Gibson takes over after that.

• badgerhockey77 - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:15 AM

I’m not a Ducks fan, so I don’t care about their future. They probably won’t trade Gibson. However, the kid is ready for the NHL NOW! The Anaheim organization has already stated that! They have a logjam at goalie and they need to do something about it. Gibson COULD become the best American goalie in a generation. Hiller will still be in his prime in 2 or 3 years. When is Gibson going to play exactly? I just don’t want to see this kid’s growth get stunted. Again, look at the Cory Schneider situation. The Canucks totally jerked that kid around. Devils are doing the same. Hopefully Anaheim doesn’t do that to Gibson. If they’re going to keep him…then play him!

• flash8910 - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM

This may not be the best indication, but being that I can’t watch all the Admirals games, this is best that I have.

Gibson is 11-9-3, 2.61 gaa, .915%, 2 SO.

This are hardly the numbers that jump out and say this kids should be in the NHL NOW!!!

Gibson still have works to do. He is young (20). He played 2 years for US. He played 2 years in the OHL, and is now in the AHL (1st season).

Fasth played 10 years in the Swedish Div 2, then 2 years in the Elite.

Andersen is 24. He played 3 years in Danish hockey league. He played 1 year in the Swedish Elite league. Then he completed 1 full year in the AHL.

4. ibieiniid - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I say trade Fasth. you’ll get a huge return, and you’ll have at LEAST one goalie that deserves the backup role.

• ejbigg - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Huge return?

• withseidelinn - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Not huge return, but more than he is worth. I think Gibson’s ceiling is way higher and Anderson can serve as Hiller’s backup until the situation changes. Good problem to have.

• ejbigg - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I guess it’s just me but I don’t think Fasth would fetch much of a return. He has a ton of upside but has been inconsistent and battled injuries this year. Overall he’s unproven with no playoff experience and the market for goalies is pretty weak as usual with few open spots around the league.

I doubt the market for Fasth would produce anything more what Bishop went for last year, which was Cory Conacher and a 4th.

• ibieiniid - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

so what’s your suggestion? dishing Hiller? they won’t get any more than what they’ll fetch for Fasth with Andersen or Gibson, and I think those two have more promise than Fasth anyway (just for some perspective, I live in Norfolk so i go see Ads games just about every time they’re home. very familiar with Andersen/Gibson). I think dishing Hiller is a bad move. he’s the only guaranteed starter on their team. the rest still have some proving themselves to do.

• flash8910 - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

The only problem about Fasth is that he has been hurt most of the season. His numbers weren’t that great for this season before the injuries. A team would be taking some risk in trading for him.

Fasth would need to return ASAP. Then the Ducks would need to showcase him, and hope he performs well. With Hiller playing so well, when is this going to happen?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches