Jan 14, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
The day after expressing confidence that Paul Stastny would be in against the Blackhawks, Patrick Roy changed it up.
“Paul won’t play tonight,” Roy said following the morning skate in Chicago, per the Denver Post. “He’s not ready.”
Stastny, 28, left Saturday’s game versus Minnesota with an apparent leg injury midway through the second period. He didn’t take another shift and finished with just 10:06 TOI but, on Monday, Roy told the Post he didn’t think the injury was serious and said Stastny would face the ‘Hawks tonight at the United Center.
Losing Stastny for any length of time would be big. He’s having a banner campaign for the Avs this season, sitting third on the team in scoring — 34 points in 43 games — while averaging over 18-and-a-half minutes per night. He’s also been remarkably effective on the power play, leading the team with eight assists, and was rewarded for his fine play by being named to the U.S. Olympic team on Jan. 1.
It’s likely that Team USA GM David Poile’s paying close attention to Stastny’s injury situation. Stastny is one of the centers Poile picked for the American team and, in various interviews, the Nashville GM has been adamant about his desire to carry five centers for Sochi.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)