Jan 14, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
The day after expressing confidence that Paul Stastny would be in against the Blackhawks, Patrick Roy changed it up.
“Paul won’t play tonight,” Roy said following the morning skate in Chicago, per the Denver Post. “He’s not ready.”
Stastny, 28, left Saturday’s game versus Minnesota with an apparent leg injury midway through the second period. He didn’t take another shift and finished with just 10:06 TOI but, on Monday, Roy told the Post he didn’t think the injury was serious and said Stastny would face the ‘Hawks tonight at the United Center.
Losing Stastny for any length of time would be big. He’s having a banner campaign for the Avs this season, sitting third on the team in scoring — 34 points in 43 games — while averaging over 18-and-a-half minutes per night. He’s also been remarkably effective on the power play, leading the team with eight assists, and was rewarded for his fine play by being named to the U.S. Olympic team on Jan. 1.
It’s likely that Team USA GM David Poile’s paying close attention to Stastny’s injury situation. Stastny is one of the centers Poile picked for the American team and, in various interviews, the Nashville GM has been adamant about his desire to carry five centers for Sochi.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)