Jan 14, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
The day after expressing confidence that Paul Stastny would be in against the Blackhawks, Patrick Roy changed it up.
“Paul won’t play tonight,” Roy said following the morning skate in Chicago, per the Denver Post. “He’s not ready.”
Stastny, 28, left Saturday’s game versus Minnesota with an apparent leg injury midway through the second period. He didn’t take another shift and finished with just 10:06 TOI but, on Monday, Roy told the Post he didn’t think the injury was serious and said Stastny would face the ‘Hawks tonight at the United Center.
Losing Stastny for any length of time would be big. He’s having a banner campaign for the Avs this season, sitting third on the team in scoring — 34 points in 43 games — while averaging over 18-and-a-half minutes per night. He’s also been remarkably effective on the power play, leading the team with eight assists, and was rewarded for his fine play by being named to the U.S. Olympic team on Jan. 1.
It’s likely that Team USA GM David Poile’s paying close attention to Stastny’s injury situation. Stastny is one of the centers Poile picked for the American team and, in various interviews, the Nashville GM has been adamant about his desire to carry five centers for Sochi.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)