Video: Hamhuis hip check leaves Lapierre hurting

Jan 13, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

A Dan Hamhuis hip check Friday in Vancouver has left his former Canucks teammate, Blues forward Max Lapierre, day-to-day with an apparent lower-body injury.

Lapierre didn’t practice today and will be re-evaluated tomorrow before St. Louis hosts Phoenix.

“He took that hit late in the game, that low hit there,” said coach Ken Hitchcock, per the Post-Dispatch. “He’s been exercising full, but not able to skate on a full-time basis. So we’ll evaluate him tomorrow and see if he can play tomorrow.”

As for Hamhuis, the steady Canucks d-man said Friday that he’s feeling more comfortable using the hip check now; however, he hasn’t forgotten about the one he threw on Milan Lucic in Game 1 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final that left him injured for the rest of the series.

1. ibieiniid - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’ll just say this to get it out of the way for the rest of you:

“I don’t often wish injury on anybody, but…”

• sharknad0 - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I agree, in my mind I’m just like please die, pwease, die

• ibieiniid - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM

idk if you’re being sarcastic, but if you read comments here long enough, you’ll see that.

2. penguins87and71 - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I love the hip check.

3. hosewater2 - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Well that obviously could not have been a clean hard check because no one tried to fight Hamhuis afterward.

• cardsandbluesforever - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

yup, was a good clean old time hockey hip check nothing to complain about. highly effective defensive tactic, wish I saw it more often from our guys.
      Lappy will probably be fine after a few days, probably more injury to his ego than anything, Hamhuis got him pretty good- full on supermaned him to the ice.

4. imleftcoast - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The one he threw against Lucic was the turning point. The Rome suspension just sealed our fate putting the Canucks short two D-men.

5. paperlions - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Nice check, but isn’t that also interference now. Puck was pushed past him already.

6. jhaegs - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I saw some slow-mo replays at a different angle tonight and it looked extremely low. “Brad Marchand hip check” low.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches