Jan 13, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Thomas Vanek‘s time with the New York Islanders is starting to get better. The team has won six in a row and he’s been a big part of that of late.
Vanek, who’s due to become a free agent this summer, is enjoy his time on Long Island but he’s not ready to start thinking about a new contract just yet as Arthur Staple of Newsday shares.
“I’m sure we’ll talk, but I’m trying to stay out of it,” Vanek said. “Until something gets close, I need to focus on the games.”
Vanek’s seven-year, $50 million deal is coming to an end and at 29 years old, he’s in prime position to cash in big one more time.
Lately, he’s been on fire with 17 points in his past 12 games with five of those being goals. That kind of production will get everyone’s attention, especially when there’s a winning streak involved.
It’s easy to see why the Isles might want to talk extension. It’s also easy to see why Vanek might not want to do that at all right now.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)