Jan 13, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Thomas Vanek‘s time with the New York Islanders is starting to get better. The team has won six in a row and he’s been a big part of that of late.
Vanek, who’s due to become a free agent this summer, is enjoy his time on Long Island but he’s not ready to start thinking about a new contract just yet as Arthur Staple of Newsday shares.
“I’m sure we’ll talk, but I’m trying to stay out of it,” Vanek said. “Until something gets close, I need to focus on the games.”
Vanek’s seven-year, $50 million deal is coming to an end and at 29 years old, he’s in prime position to cash in big one more time.
Lately, he’s been on fire with 17 points in his past 12 games with five of those being goals. That kind of production will get everyone’s attention, especially when there’s a winning streak involved.
It’s easy to see why the Isles might want to talk extension. It’s also easy to see why Vanek might not want to do that at all right now.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47