Jan 13, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Over the last five years, the Selke conversation has largely been based around a handful of individuals: three-time winner Pavel Datsyuk, Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews (one win each).
Now, Montreal head coach Michel Therrien says a new name warrants mention — Tomas Plekanec.
“He should be a serious candidate for sure,” Therrien said, per Sportsnet. “He does so may good things on the ice.”
Plekanec, 31, has successfully transitioned from an offense-first guy to a more well-rounded forward, one that Therrien considers to be his best two-way center. While his advanced possession statistics are hardly off the charts and both his takeaway and faceoff numbers are average at best, Plekanec has emerged as Montreal’s main shutdown guy, one that routinely draws the opposition’s top offensive players.
And he’s still managing to produce offensively, with 14 goals and 28 points through 46 games — which is a big reason why Therrien’s making the Selke push.
“When we ask [Plekanec] to play against the other teams’ top lines, he always does the job,” Therrien explained. “And he can contribute on offense too.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)