Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
In the wake of today’s big announcements from Ottawa — GM Bryan Murray re-upping on a new deal, promotions for Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee, announcing the team is ready to deal — owner Eugene Melnyk decided to get in on the action as well.
“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”
Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.
“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”
This isn’t the first time Melnyk’s made an inflammatory comment toward another organization. He ripped Matt Cooke and the Penguins following the Erik Karlsson injury — calling Cooke a “goon” before questioning why he was employed — and ripped “profane” Penguins fans during last year’s playoffs.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)