Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
In the wake of today’s big announcements from Ottawa — GM Bryan Murray re-upping on a new deal, promotions for Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee, announcing the team is ready to deal — owner Eugene Melnyk decided to get in on the action as well.
“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”
Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.
“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”
This isn’t the first time Melnyk’s made an inflammatory comment toward another organization. He ripped Matt Cooke and the Penguins following the Erik Karlsson injury — calling Cooke a “goon” before questioning why he was employed — and ripped “profane” Penguins fans during last year’s playoffs.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)