Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
In the wake of today’s big announcements from Ottawa — GM Bryan Murray re-upping on a new deal, promotions for Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee, announcing the team is ready to deal — owner Eugene Melnyk decided to get in on the action as well.
“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”
Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.
“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”
This isn’t the first time Melnyk’s made an inflammatory comment toward another organization. He ripped Matt Cooke and the Penguins following the Erik Karlsson injury — calling Cooke a “goon” before questioning why he was employed — and ripped “profane” Penguins fans during last year’s playoffs.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)