Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
In the wake of today’s big announcements from Ottawa — GM Bryan Murray re-upping on a new deal, promotions for Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee, announcing the team is ready to deal — owner Eugene Melnyk decided to get in on the action as well.
“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”
Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.
“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”
This isn’t the first time Melnyk’s made an inflammatory comment toward another organization. He ripped Matt Cooke and the Penguins following the Erik Karlsson injury — calling Cooke a “goon” before questioning why he was employed — and ripped “profane” Penguins fans during last year’s playoffs.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 16
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8