Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
In the wake of today’s big announcements from Ottawa — GM Bryan Murray re-upping on a new deal, promotions for Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee, announcing the team is ready to deal — owner Eugene Melnyk decided to get in on the action as well.
“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”
Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.
“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”
This isn’t the first time Melnyk’s made an inflammatory comment toward another organization. He ripped Matt Cooke and the Penguins following the Erik Karlsson injury — calling Cooke a “goon” before questioning why he was employed — and ripped “profane” Penguins fans during last year’s playoffs.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)