Jan 13, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
For your review, here are the first three goals the Winnipeg Jets surrendered — all in a span of less than eight minutes — to Columbus on Saturday:
We’ll call that one “another odd-man rush surrendered, Jacob Trouba can’t be two places at one time.”
We’ll call that one “hey, don’t forget about Nick Foligno oh too late now.”
The Jackets’ fourth goal of the second period came on a penalty shot after Boone Jenner was hauled down on a breakaway.
All of which is to say, for all the blame that goalie Ondrej Pavelec has received in the wake of Claude Noel’s firing — not to mention the criticism general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has received (from yours truly, for example) for signing Pavelec to such a big, long contract — when a team plays defensively like the Jets played Saturday, it’s typically going to give up some goals, no matter who’s in net.
And that’s why, for new coach Paul Maurice, the first order of business is going to be “the defensive side of our game.”
“If I don’t put the structure in front of [our goalie], we can’t win,” said Maurice. “And if he doesn’t stop pucks, we can’t win.”
The Jets have allowed at least four goals in each of their last five games, all of them regulation losses.
They’ll try to tighten up a bit tonight when they host the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)