Jan 13, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
For your review, here are the first three goals the Winnipeg Jets surrendered — all in a span of less than eight minutes — to Columbus on Saturday:
We’ll call that one “another odd-man rush surrendered, Jacob Trouba can’t be two places at one time.”
We’ll call that one “hey, don’t forget about Nick Foligno oh too late now.”
The Jackets’ fourth goal of the second period came on a penalty shot after Boone Jenner was hauled down on a breakaway.
All of which is to say, for all the blame that goalie Ondrej Pavelec has received in the wake of Claude Noel’s firing — not to mention the criticism general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has received (from yours truly, for example) for signing Pavelec to such a big, long contract — when a team plays defensively like the Jets played Saturday, it’s typically going to give up some goals, no matter who’s in net.
And that’s why, for new coach Paul Maurice, the first order of business is going to be “the defensive side of our game.”
“If I don’t put the structure in front of [our goalie], we can’t win,” said Maurice. “And if he doesn’t stop pucks, we can’t win.”
The Jets have allowed at least four goals in each of their last five games, all of them regulation losses.
They’ll try to tighten up a bit tonight when they host the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 8
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)