Jan 13, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
For your review, here are the first three goals the Winnipeg Jets surrendered — all in a span of less than eight minutes — to Columbus on Saturday:
We’ll call that one “another odd-man rush surrendered, Jacob Trouba can’t be two places at one time.”
We’ll call that one “hey, don’t forget about Nick Foligno oh too late now.”
The Jackets’ fourth goal of the second period came on a penalty shot after Boone Jenner was hauled down on a breakaway.
All of which is to say, for all the blame that goalie Ondrej Pavelec has received in the wake of Claude Noel’s firing — not to mention the criticism general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has received (from yours truly, for example) for signing Pavelec to such a big, long contract — when a team plays defensively like the Jets played Saturday, it’s typically going to give up some goals, no matter who’s in net.
And that’s why, for new coach Paul Maurice, the first order of business is going to be “the defensive side of our game.”
“If I don’t put the structure in front of [our goalie], we can’t win,” said Maurice. “And if he doesn’t stop pucks, we can’t win.”
The Jets have allowed at least four goals in each of their last five games, all of them regulation losses.
They’ll try to tighten up a bit tonight when they host the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)