Jan 13, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
For your review, here are the first three goals the Winnipeg Jets surrendered — all in a span of less than eight minutes — to Columbus on Saturday:
We’ll call that one “another odd-man rush surrendered, Jacob Trouba can’t be two places at one time.”
We’ll call that one “hey, don’t forget about Nick Foligno oh too late now.”
The Jackets’ fourth goal of the second period came on a penalty shot after Boone Jenner was hauled down on a breakaway.
All of which is to say, for all the blame that goalie Ondrej Pavelec has received in the wake of Claude Noel’s firing — not to mention the criticism general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has received (from yours truly, for example) for signing Pavelec to such a big, long contract — when a team plays defensively like the Jets played Saturday, it’s typically going to give up some goals, no matter who’s in net.
And that’s why, for new coach Paul Maurice, the first order of business is going to be “the defensive side of our game.”
“If I don’t put the structure in front of [our goalie], we can’t win,” said Maurice. “And if he doesn’t stop pucks, we can’t win.”
The Jets have allowed at least four goals in each of their last five games, all of them regulation losses.
They’ll try to tighten up a bit tonight when they host the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)