Jan 13, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
On Monday, Chris Kelly skated prior to practice for the first time since suffering a broken ankle in early December — but B’s head coach Claude Julien said not to read too much into it.
“He started skating a few days ago last week,” Julien said, per CSNNE.com. “He just started skating on his own. He’s not close to returning here. We’re not talking days here. There is still lots of time for him to heal. It’s more about getting him to stay positive.
“It’s a frustrating injury that’s going to take a while.”
Kelly suffered the broken ankle on a Pascal Dupuis slash on Dec. 7. He was given a 4-6 week window for a return to action and, having already missed 16 games, appears to be inching closer and closer to a return. According to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, it’s possible Kelly could get back into the lineup by the end of next week, though he still requires medical clearance and at least a few practices with the B’s.
The 33-year-old Kelly had three goals and seven points through 29 games this year, and was one of Boston’s top penalty-killing forwards prior to getting hurt.
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 1
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 36
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (134)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)