Jan 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The contentious relationship between Ivan Telegin and the Winnipeg Jets took a turn — possibly for the better — on Monday.
The Jets announced they lifted Telegin’s suspension and assigned him to CSKA Moscow of the KHL. The development comes months after Telegin refused his assignment to the Jets’ AHL affiliate in St. John’s, instead heading back to Russia.
Here’s more on that incident, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
The 21-year-old winger, who has two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract, told a teammate on social media he was heading back to Russia, his home country.
Telegin had been assigned to the AHL team early last week.
The Jets issued a brief comment this morning through their communications department that said: “The Winnipeg Jets have suspended Ivan Telegin for failure to report to the St. John’s IceCaps due to personal reasons.”
Telegin suffered through a concussion and post-concussion symptoms for much of last season, dragging into the spring and summer.
A fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Telegin was a former running mate of Jets prospect Mark Schiefele with OHL Barrie. He’s the second young Russian player to bolt Winnipeg for the KHL, joining former first-round pick Alexander Burmistrov.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)