Jan 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The contentious relationship between Ivan Telegin and the Winnipeg Jets took a turn — possibly for the better — on Monday.
The Jets announced they lifted Telegin’s suspension and assigned him to CSKA Moscow of the KHL. The development comes months after Telegin refused his assignment to the Jets’ AHL affiliate in St. John’s, instead heading back to Russia.
Here’s more on that incident, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
The 21-year-old winger, who has two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract, told a teammate on social media he was heading back to Russia, his home country.
Telegin had been assigned to the AHL team early last week.
The Jets issued a brief comment this morning through their communications department that said: “The Winnipeg Jets have suspended Ivan Telegin for failure to report to the St. John’s IceCaps due to personal reasons.”
Telegin suffered through a concussion and post-concussion symptoms for much of last season, dragging into the spring and summer.
A fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Telegin was a former running mate of Jets prospect Mark Schiefele with OHL Barrie. He’s the second young Russian player to bolt Winnipeg for the KHL, joining former first-round pick Alexander Burmistrov.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)