Jan 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The contentious relationship between Ivan Telegin and the Winnipeg Jets took a turn — possibly for the better — on Monday.
The Jets announced they lifted Telegin’s suspension and assigned him to CSKA Moscow of the KHL. The development comes months after Telegin refused his assignment to the Jets’ AHL affiliate in St. John’s, instead heading back to Russia.
Here’s more on that incident, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
The 21-year-old winger, who has two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract, told a teammate on social media he was heading back to Russia, his home country.
Telegin had been assigned to the AHL team early last week.
The Jets issued a brief comment this morning through their communications department that said: “The Winnipeg Jets have suspended Ivan Telegin for failure to report to the St. John’s IceCaps due to personal reasons.”
Telegin suffered through a concussion and post-concussion symptoms for much of last season, dragging into the spring and summer.
A fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Telegin was a former running mate of Jets prospect Mark Schiefele with OHL Barrie. He’s the second young Russian player to bolt Winnipeg for the KHL, joining former first-round pick Alexander Burmistrov.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 9
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 26
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)