Jan 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
The contentious relationship between Ivan Telegin and the Winnipeg Jets took a turn — possibly for the better — on Monday.
The Jets announced they lifted Telegin’s suspension and assigned him to CSKA Moscow of the KHL. The development comes months after Telegin refused his assignment to the Jets’ AHL affiliate in St. John’s, instead heading back to Russia.
Here’s more on that incident, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
The 21-year-old winger, who has two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract, told a teammate on social media he was heading back to Russia, his home country.
Telegin had been assigned to the AHL team early last week.
The Jets issued a brief comment this morning through their communications department that said: “The Winnipeg Jets have suspended Ivan Telegin for failure to report to the St. John’s IceCaps due to personal reasons.”
Telegin suffered through a concussion and post-concussion symptoms for much of last season, dragging into the spring and summer.
A fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Telegin was a former running mate of Jets prospect Mark Schiefele with OHL Barrie. He’s the second young Russian player to bolt Winnipeg for the KHL, joining former first-round pick Alexander Burmistrov.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)