Jan 13, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche will be without veteran netminder Jean-Sebastien Giguere (back spasms) for the next while and have recalled Sami Aittokallio from AHL Lake Erie to take Giguere’s place on the active roster.
Aittokallio, 21, made his NHL debut late last season against Los Angeles, faring pretty well — 23 saves on 25 shots — before cramping in both legs forced him from the game.
Giguere, 36, is 7-4-0 this season with a 2.65 GAA and .911 save percentage. He was rock solid to start the year — splitting second star of the week honors with Semyon Varlamov in October — but has struggled of late. He’s mired in a four-game losing streak and has given up 11 goals over his last two outings, which included a brutal 7-2 loss in Chicago last Friday in which he was hooked after the second period.
Giguere’s spotty play drew the ire of head coach Patrick Roy, who called out the veteran netminder for the string of poor efforts. To his credit, Giguere agreed with Roy’s critique, saying “at the end of the day, I have not been playing my best.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)