Jan 13, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils can’t win a shootout. And it’s costing them in the standings.
Sunday in Toronto, the Devils fell to 0-7 in the “gimmick,” failing to earn a full two points in a game that left them feeling “a little bit robbed,” according to coach Pete DeBoer.
The game also left the Devils two points back of the last wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference, their 19 regulation/overtime wins tied with Nashville (0-5 in the shootout) for the most of any team not currently in a playoff position.
Meanwhile, the Washington Capitals have just 14 regulation/OT wins and, thanks to an 8-5 record in the shootout, sit second in the Metropolitan Division.
“I’m not going to spend a lot of time on the shootout,” DeBoer said after the Leafs game, per The Record. “It is what it is. We competed our (rear end) off tonight and played a great game. It was our third game in four nights, back to back. The shootout doesn’t take away from the effort that we gave tonight.”
No, but it does raise the question of fairness. With so many games being decided by a “gimmick,” are the right teams being rewarded in the standings?
Because if you had any doubt that shootout success doesn’t correlate with the quality of a team, the Buffalo Sabres are 6-2 in it.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 29
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)