Jan 13, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Tom Sestito was ejected just 2:33 into the first period of Monday’s emotionally charged Pacific Division meeting against the L.A. Kings.
Sestito received penalties including an instigator minor, fighting major, 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct for grabbing Kings’ forward Jordan Nolan off a faceoff, dropping the gloves and pummeling away on Nolan, who didn’t react.
Sestito, according to NHL.com, was credited with one second of ice time. He received 27 minutes in penalties.
He was reacting to to a hit Nolan threw on Canucks’ captain Henrik Sedin in the neutral zone on the shift before.
It’s interesting to note the comments of Canucks’ head coach John Tortorella from November, as he discussed the instigator rule with reporters following a Saturday night game involving the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I think the players need to police themselves. But when you put that instigator rule in, and you’re using all this supplementary discipline and all this crap that comes after, it needs to be taken care of right on the ice, and I don’t think you’ll have that stuff, the hitting from behind and the cheap stuff,” said Tortorella.
“We’ve taken too much of the game away from the players. The players are the ones that turn it into an honest type game, and we need to give that back to them. We never will, but we should.”
The two teams combined for 53 minutes in penalties in the opening period.
The Canucks were short-handed just nine seconds into the game, when Zack Kassian took down Dustin Brown, who nine days ago ran over Roberto Luongo, causing the Canucks’ goalie to suffer an ankle injury.
Despite being on the penalty kill for more than 10 minutes in the opening period – including time at five-on-three for L.A. – the Canucks outshot the Kings.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)