Jan 12, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks will go into Sunday’s game a little shorthanded, yet the Detroit Red Wings won’t provide them any sympathy … in fact, they’d probably laugh off their complaints.
The Ducks will go without captain Ryan Getzlaf, who suffered a lower-body injury that ended his Saturday early. The good news for Anaheim is that the 28-year-old’s X-ray came up negative last night and it’s believed he’s only day-to-day. This might be a red-hot team playing it safe.
Daniel Alfredsson missed Detroit’s win against Los Angeles on Saturday with back spasms and will remain on the team’s injured list along with Pavel Datsyuk, Darren Helm and Johan Franzen, MLive.com’s Ansar Khan reports.
(Even Detroit’s top two goalies are less than 100 percent, so you can see why PHT keeps trotting out the wounded wings motif.)
The Ducks come in with a six-game winning streak, so one would assume that this is another tough draw for the Red Wings. Few expected Detroit to beat the Kings last night, though, so we’ll just see.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6