Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have decided to fire head coach Claude Noel, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The franchise will also part ways with assistant Perry Pearn.
Noel was the new Jets’ first coach since they moved from Atlanta. He failed to make the playoffs in the team’s first two seasons and Winnipeg currents sits in last place in the Central Division after dropping five straight contests.
You could argue he’s been more noteworthy for what he’s said after games than what his team has done during them. He wasn’t shy about bashing his own squad, once saying that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.
Even still, the Jets have some serious problems and firing their bench boss isn’t likely to completely reverse their fortunes. Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a significant trade in the coming weeks, but the more immediate question is who Noel’s replacement will be.
Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)