Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have decided to fire head coach Claude Noel, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The franchise will also part ways with assistant Perry Pearn.
Noel was the new Jets’ first coach since they moved from Atlanta. He failed to make the playoffs in the team’s first two seasons and Winnipeg currents sits in last place in the Central Division after dropping five straight contests.
You could argue he’s been more noteworthy for what he’s said after games than what his team has done during them. He wasn’t shy about bashing his own squad, once saying that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.
Even still, the Jets have some serious problems and firing their bench boss isn’t likely to completely reverse their fortunes. Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a significant trade in the coming weeks, but the more immediate question is who Noel’s replacement will be.
Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)