Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have decided to fire head coach Claude Noel, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The franchise will also part ways with assistant Perry Pearn.
Noel was the new Jets’ first coach since they moved from Atlanta. He failed to make the playoffs in the team’s first two seasons and Winnipeg currents sits in last place in the Central Division after dropping five straight contests.
You could argue he’s been more noteworthy for what he’s said after games than what his team has done during them. He wasn’t shy about bashing his own squad, once saying that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.
Even still, the Jets have some serious problems and firing their bench boss isn’t likely to completely reverse their fortunes. Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a significant trade in the coming weeks, but the more immediate question is who Noel’s replacement will be.
Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)