Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have decided to fire head coach Claude Noel, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The franchise will also part ways with assistant Perry Pearn.
Noel was the new Jets’ first coach since they moved from Atlanta. He failed to make the playoffs in the team’s first two seasons and Winnipeg currents sits in last place in the Central Division after dropping five straight contests.
You could argue he’s been more noteworthy for what he’s said after games than what his team has done during them. He wasn’t shy about bashing his own squad, once saying that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.
Even still, the Jets have some serious problems and firing their bench boss isn’t likely to completely reverse their fortunes. Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a significant trade in the coming weeks, but the more immediate question is who Noel’s replacement will be.
Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)