Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have decided to fire head coach Claude Noel, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The franchise will also part ways with assistant Perry Pearn.
Noel was the new Jets’ first coach since they moved from Atlanta. He failed to make the playoffs in the team’s first two seasons and Winnipeg currents sits in last place in the Central Division after dropping five straight contests.
You could argue he’s been more noteworthy for what he’s said after games than what his team has done during them. He wasn’t shy about bashing his own squad, once saying that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.
Even still, the Jets have some serious problems and firing their bench boss isn’t likely to completely reverse their fortunes. Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a significant trade in the coming weeks, but the more immediate question is who Noel’s replacement will be.
Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 1
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)