Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
Here’s a somewhat decent video of the hit:
Bortuzzo, 24, hasn’t been suspended during his NHL career, but he just played in his 50th game (spread out through three seasons) tonight.
It will probably help his cause that Giordano, 30, was able to return to the game. That doesn’t mean that an injury is out of the question anyway, however. If he’s OK, Team Canada may also breathe a sigh of relief, as he could serve as a steady Plan B (or C) if one of their selected defensemen get injured.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley passed on griping about the hit to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.
“It happened so quick,” Hartley said. “The league is looking at everything. I have much more important things to watch right now.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)