Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
Here’s a somewhat decent video of the hit:
Bortuzzo, 24, hasn’t been suspended during his NHL career, but he just played in his 50th game (spread out through three seasons) tonight.
It will probably help his cause that Giordano, 30, was able to return to the game. That doesn’t mean that an injury is out of the question anyway, however. If he’s OK, Team Canada may also breathe a sigh of relief, as he could serve as a steady Plan B (or C) if one of their selected defensemen get injured.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley passed on griping about the hit to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.
“It happened so quick,” Hartley said. “The league is looking at everything. I have much more important things to watch right now.”
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)