Jan 12, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are losing $20 million to $30 million annually and are asking for additional help from Broward county in an attempt to stop or slow the bleeding.
At the same time, owner Vinnie Viola wants to make it clear that he’s not abandoning his commitment to turning the Panthers into a competitive franchise. In fact, he gave GM Dale Tallon the green light this week to spend to the salary cap.
“They’ve given me an open [wallet]. I’m pumped up,” Tallon told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “We can do hockey deals now, what the best deal is as far as hockey is considered.”
That gives Tallon a tremendous amount of flexibility as the Panthers currently have the lowest cap hit in the NHL, according to Cap Geek.
They also have around $40.5 million in cap space committed to 12 players for the 2014-15 campaign, but with the ceiling projected to reach $71.1 million, they can afford to be very aggressive in the trade and free agent markets as they work to build around their young and still developing core.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)