Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
If things keep going the New York Islanders’ way, then Sunday’s 4-2 win against the Dallas Stars might serve as a microcosm of their 2013-14 season.
They seemed down-and-out at first, as they fell behind 2-0 through the first period. The Isles didn’t give up, however, scoring four unanswered goals to win their sixth game in a row and seven of their last eight contests.
To an extent, you can attribute the win to the usual suspects. Kyle Okposo scored two goals to tie it up, John Tavares had an assist and the game-winner and Thomas Vanek collected two helpers of his own.
As much as the Isles’ success has depended upon that trio of forwards, other players need to step up to generate such a streak. In that regard, Kevin Poulin seems to be finding his game (29 out of 31 shots stopped tonight) while Calvin de Haan is making a name for himself with passes like these:
Even with a run like this returning them to respectability, the Isles still have a way to go, but their doubters probably aren’t as loud or numerous as of Sunday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39