Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
If things keep going the New York Islanders’ way, then Sunday’s 4-2 win against the Dallas Stars might serve as a microcosm of their 2013-14 season.
They seemed down-and-out at first, as they fell behind 2-0 through the first period. The Isles didn’t give up, however, scoring four unanswered goals to win their sixth game in a row and seven of their last eight contests.
To an extent, you can attribute the win to the usual suspects. Kyle Okposo scored two goals to tie it up, John Tavares had an assist and the game-winner and Thomas Vanek collected two helpers of his own.
As much as the Isles’ success has depended upon that trio of forwards, other players need to step up to generate such a streak. In that regard, Kevin Poulin seems to be finding his game (29 out of 31 shots stopped tonight) while Calvin de Haan is making a name for himself with passes like these:
Even with a run like this returning them to respectability, the Isles still have a way to go, but their doubters probably aren’t as loud or numerous as of Sunday night.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)