Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
If things keep going the New York Islanders’ way, then Sunday’s 4-2 win against the Dallas Stars might serve as a microcosm of their 2013-14 season.
They seemed down-and-out at first, as they fell behind 2-0 through the first period. The Isles didn’t give up, however, scoring four unanswered goals to win their sixth game in a row and seven of their last eight contests.
To an extent, you can attribute the win to the usual suspects. Kyle Okposo scored two goals to tie it up, John Tavares had an assist and the game-winner and Thomas Vanek collected two helpers of his own.
As much as the Isles’ success has depended upon that trio of forwards, other players need to step up to generate such a streak. In that regard, Kevin Poulin seems to be finding his game (29 out of 31 shots stopped tonight) while Calvin de Haan is making a name for himself with passes like these:
Even with a run like this returning them to respectability, the Isles still have a way to go, but their doubters probably aren’t as loud or numerous as of Sunday night.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)