Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
If things keep going the New York Islanders’ way, then Sunday’s 4-2 win against the Dallas Stars might serve as a microcosm of their 2013-14 season.
They seemed down-and-out at first, as they fell behind 2-0 through the first period. The Isles didn’t give up, however, scoring four unanswered goals to win their sixth game in a row and seven of their last eight contests.
To an extent, you can attribute the win to the usual suspects. Kyle Okposo scored two goals to tie it up, John Tavares had an assist and the game-winner and Thomas Vanek collected two helpers of his own.
As much as the Isles’ success has depended upon that trio of forwards, other players need to step up to generate such a streak. In that regard, Kevin Poulin seems to be finding his game (29 out of 31 shots stopped tonight) while Calvin de Haan is making a name for himself with passes like these:
Even with a run like this returning them to respectability, the Isles still have a way to go, but their doubters probably aren’t as loud or numerous as of Sunday night.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)