Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
If things keep going the New York Islanders’ way, then Sunday’s 4-2 win against the Dallas Stars might serve as a microcosm of their 2013-14 season.
They seemed down-and-out at first, as they fell behind 2-0 through the first period. The Isles didn’t give up, however, scoring four unanswered goals to win their sixth game in a row and seven of their last eight contests.
To an extent, you can attribute the win to the usual suspects. Kyle Okposo scored two goals to tie it up, John Tavares had an assist and the game-winner and Thomas Vanek collected two helpers of his own.
As much as the Isles’ success has depended upon that trio of forwards, other players need to step up to generate such a streak. In that regard, Kevin Poulin seems to be finding his game (29 out of 31 shots stopped tonight) while Calvin de Haan is making a name for himself with passes like these:
Even with a run like this returning them to respectability, the Isles still have a way to go, but their doubters probably aren’t as loud or numerous as of Sunday night.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (99)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)