Jan 12, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New York Rangers host the Philadelphia Flyers at Madison Square Garden at 7:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
As we move past the midway point of 2013-14, the Metropolitan Division is heating up. While they were something as a joke early on, the recent rise of the New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, and New York Rangers has redefined the playoff race in significant ways.
For starters, the division’s collective success has put the Wild Card, once dominated by the Atlantic Division, back in play. More importantly, just nine points separates the eighth place Islanders and second place Flyers, which raises the stakes of divisional battles like tonight’s.
The Rangers and Flyers are a perfect example of how tight the Metropolitan has become. The Flyers have just a one point lead on New York and are simultaneously tied with the Washington Capitals in terms of points, but are behind based on games played, so a win has the potential to vault either team to second place.
Although both of these squads got off to sluggish offensive starts this season, this has the potential to be a high-scoring affair. The Flyers and Rangers have each scored at least three goals in four straight contests. It will be worth keeping an eye on Philadelphia’s Jakub Voracek and the Rangers’ Brad Richards in particular as they represent the hottest forwards this match has to offer.
Tonight’s contest will also feature Dan Carcillo, who spent parts of three campaigns with Philadelphia. After that he went to Chicago and then Los Angeles, but this will be his first match against the Flyers as a member of a divisional rival, so you can be expected to play with an edge.
He won’t be alone in that as these are two of the more physical teams in the NHL and they’re both at an important juncture.
Philadelphia doesn’t want to give up its hard earned momentum with a second consecutive loss after its 6-3 defeat at the hands of Tampa Bay yesterday. Meanwhile, the Rangers have struggled at home this season and will have a hard time making the playoffs if they don’t remedy that. They will play six of their next seven games at home, including tonight’s match.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since Aril 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 43
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)