Jan 12, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New York Rangers host the Philadelphia Flyers at Madison Square Garden at 7:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
As we move past the midway point of 2013-14, the Metropolitan Division is heating up. While they were something as a joke early on, the recent rise of the New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, and New York Rangers has redefined the playoff race in significant ways.
For starters, the division’s collective success has put the Wild Card, once dominated by the Atlantic Division, back in play. More importantly, just nine points separates the eighth place Islanders and second place Flyers, which raises the stakes of divisional battles like tonight’s.
The Rangers and Flyers are a perfect example of how tight the Metropolitan has become. The Flyers have just a one point lead on New York and are simultaneously tied with the Washington Capitals in terms of points, but are behind based on games played, so a win has the potential to vault either team to second place.
Although both of these squads got off to sluggish offensive starts this season, this has the potential to be a high-scoring affair. The Flyers and Rangers have each scored at least three goals in four straight contests. It will be worth keeping an eye on Philadelphia’s Jakub Voracek and the Rangers’ Brad Richards in particular as they represent the hottest forwards this match has to offer.
Tonight’s contest will also feature Dan Carcillo, who spent parts of three campaigns with Philadelphia. After that he went to Chicago and then Los Angeles, but this will be his first match against the Flyers as a member of a divisional rival, so you can be expected to play with an edge.
He won’t be alone in that as these are two of the more physical teams in the NHL and they’re both at an important juncture.
Philadelphia doesn’t want to give up its hard earned momentum with a second consecutive loss after its 6-3 defeat at the hands of Tampa Bay yesterday. Meanwhile, the Rangers have struggled at home this season and will have a hard time making the playoffs if they don’t remedy that. They will play six of their next seven games at home, including tonight’s match.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)