Jan 12, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Jimmy Howard turned aside 43 of 44 shots to lead Detroit to a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings, but just when things were finally starting to look up for him, his campaign was dealt another blow.
He sustained a hip flexor injury during the contest and won’t start in today’s game against Anaheim, according to MLive.com. Last night’s start was just his fifth since returning from a knee injury.
Howard still expects to serve as the backup, so his injury isn’t believed to be serious at this time. If that changes though, it could alter things for the Olympics. Howard is one of Team USA’s three goaltenders and if he’s not available then Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop will take his place.
Of course, Bishop has been sidelined lately too due to a wrist injury.
Even when he’s healthy, Howard has had difficulty finding his groove this season. His 2.67 GAA and .913 save percentage are a step behind what he’s accomplished in recent years.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)