Jan 12, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Jimmy Howard turned aside 43 of 44 shots to lead Detroit to a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings, but just when things were finally starting to look up for him, his campaign was dealt another blow.
He sustained a hip flexor injury during the contest and won’t start in today’s game against Anaheim, according to MLive.com. Last night’s start was just his fifth since returning from a knee injury.
Howard still expects to serve as the backup, so his injury isn’t believed to be serious at this time. If that changes though, it could alter things for the Olympics. Howard is one of Team USA’s three goaltenders and if he’s not available then Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop will take his place.
Of course, Bishop has been sidelined lately too due to a wrist injury.
Even when he’s healthy, Howard has had difficulty finding his groove this season. His 2.67 GAA and .913 save percentage are a step behind what he’s accomplished in recent years.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)