Jan 12, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is too young to be assigned to the AHL’s Rochester Americans, which would probably be that middle-of-the-road path between competition the Sabres likely believe is over his head in the NHL vs. opponents who probably don’t push him enough at the junior level.
The numbers make the argument pretty plainly. He had 85 points in 59 games in the QMJHL in 2011-12 and 54 in 33 games with the Ramparts last season. Conversely, he only has eight points in 43 games split between the last two seasons in the NHL with Buffalo.
Does this mean the awkwardness is over? No, but the two sides can gather themselves and try to mend the fences as the process goes along. (Assuming new GM Tim Murray doesn’t have a trick up his sleeve, of course.)
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 4
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 5
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18