Jan 12, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray bid farewell and wished good luck to his nephew and assistant Tim Murray on Friday after he joined the Buffalo Sabres as their general manager. The elder Murray doesn’t plan on leaving the Senators anytime soon though and it looks like he won’t have to.
Owner Eugene Melnyk is in serious talks with Bryan Murray about a contract extension and an announcement could be coming in the near future, according to Ottawa Citizen.
Murray has dedicated his life to hockey. He has coached in 1,239 NHL games dating back to 1981-82 and ranks ninth on the all-time list with 620 wins. He has also served as the general manager for the Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, and Anaheim Ducks.
He turned 71 in December, but remains motivated to stay in the NHL.
“It’s a great business to be in,” Murray said. “We think we have a real growing franchise here, with a lot of kids in the program and on the way up, so it would be hard (to leave). There’s no question there’s a time (for retirement), but hopefully this isn’t my time.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)