Jan 12, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray bid farewell and wished good luck to his nephew and assistant Tim Murray on Friday after he joined the Buffalo Sabres as their general manager. The elder Murray doesn’t plan on leaving the Senators anytime soon though and it looks like he won’t have to.
Owner Eugene Melnyk is in serious talks with Bryan Murray about a contract extension and an announcement could be coming in the near future, according to Ottawa Citizen.
Murray has dedicated his life to hockey. He has coached in 1,239 NHL games dating back to 1981-82 and ranks ninth on the all-time list with 620 wins. He has also served as the general manager for the Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, and Anaheim Ducks.
He turned 71 in December, but remains motivated to stay in the NHL.
“It’s a great business to be in,” Murray said. “We think we have a real growing franchise here, with a lot of kids in the program and on the way up, so it would be hard (to leave). There’s no question there’s a time (for retirement), but hopefully this isn’t my time.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)