Jan 12, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray bid farewell and wished good luck to his nephew and assistant Tim Murray on Friday after he joined the Buffalo Sabres as their general manager. The elder Murray doesn’t plan on leaving the Senators anytime soon though and it looks like he won’t have to.
Owner Eugene Melnyk is in serious talks with Bryan Murray about a contract extension and an announcement could be coming in the near future, according to Ottawa Citizen.
Murray has dedicated his life to hockey. He has coached in 1,239 NHL games dating back to 1981-82 and ranks ninth on the all-time list with 620 wins. He has also served as the general manager for the Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, and Anaheim Ducks.
He turned 71 in December, but remains motivated to stay in the NHL.
“It’s a great business to be in,” Murray said. “We think we have a real growing franchise here, with a lot of kids in the program and on the way up, so it would be hard (to leave). There’s no question there’s a time (for retirement), but hopefully this isn’t my time.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)