Jan 12, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the New York Rangers hosting the Philadelphia Flyers starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The New York Rangers haven’t had a losing record in Madison Square Garden since the 2003-04 campaign, but they’re just 9-10-3 at home this season.
• Philadelphia forward Vincent Lecavalier hasn’t scored a goal since Nov. 27. He got off to a strong start this season, but has cooled down dramatically, in part due to injuries.
• On the Rangers side, Derek Stepan has also gone cold with no goals and just four assists in his last 10 games. After scoring 18 goals in 48 contests in 2013-14, he has now endured three goal droughts this season that have individually lasted at least 10 contests.
• The Flyers have lost six straight contests in Madison Square Garden. The last time they earned a victory while visiting the Rangers was Feb. 20, 2011 and Dan Carcillo netted the game winner in that game. Carcillo is a member of the Rangers now.
• The Rangers and Flyers both currently hold postseason spots despite the fact that they’ve each allowed more goals than they’ve scored. The Minnesota Wild, Washington Capitals, and Detroit Red Wings are the only other teams that can say the same.
• No member of the New York Rangers has at least 12 goals this season. They’re the only NHL squad that can say that, although the silver lining is that they have four players with 11 markers (Chris Kreider, Carl Hagelin, Brad Richards, and Mats Zuccarello). Philadelphia has three guys with at least 12 goals (Wayne Simmonds, Claude Giroux, and Jakub Voracek)
• In a similar vein, Simmonds and Kreider are two of just seven players in the NHL with at least 10 goals and 50 penalty minutes in 2013-14.
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 7
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 59
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 4
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 8
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36