Jan 12, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
The biggest stories surrounding the Buffalo Sabres seem to be coming off the ice lately, even for Ryan Miller. The U.S. Olympian seems capable of canceling that out when he’s playing, however, as he helped the Sabres gain a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Sunday.
Here’s his best save of the game, as he got a stick on Mikhail Grabovski‘s shot:
Still, with all the changes happening in the organization, the questions swirl about Miller’s future with the franchise. The 33-year-old told the Buffalo News that he isn’t ready to discuss a contract extension with the team just yet.
“It seems like he’s put in a lot of time evaluating talent and that’s a good place to start,” Miller said of new GM Tim Murray. “He’s been around some good organizations so let’s see what direction he wants to take it and go from there.”
Miller seemed flattered that new team president Pat LaFontaine wants to keep him long-term, but still wants to sit down with Buffalo’s brass before leaning in one direction or the other.
“It’s nice of him but I still need to kind of see what’s going on in the bigger picture,” Miller said. “It’s something where last time I didn’t really talk to Pat about things. He was just getting his bearings and getting a look around so I guess it’s time to talk to him again and see what’s going on with his side of things. I’m going to wait to have any conversations with those guys before I start getting too far along.”
Besides, Miller might just raise his stock a little more as this season goes along and the 2014 Winter Olympics approach.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)