Jan 12, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
The biggest stories surrounding the Buffalo Sabres seem to be coming off the ice lately, even for Ryan Miller. The U.S. Olympian seems capable of canceling that out when he’s playing, however, as he helped the Sabres gain a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Sunday.
Here’s his best save of the game, as he got a stick on Mikhail Grabovski‘s shot:
Still, with all the changes happening in the organization, the questions swirl about Miller’s future with the franchise. The 33-year-old told the Buffalo News that he isn’t ready to discuss a contract extension with the team just yet.
“It seems like he’s put in a lot of time evaluating talent and that’s a good place to start,” Miller said of new GM Tim Murray. “He’s been around some good organizations so let’s see what direction he wants to take it and go from there.”
Miller seemed flattered that new team president Pat LaFontaine wants to keep him long-term, but still wants to sit down with Buffalo’s brass before leaning in one direction or the other.
“It’s nice of him but I still need to kind of see what’s going on in the bigger picture,” Miller said. “It’s something where last time I didn’t really talk to Pat about things. He was just getting his bearings and getting a look around so I guess it’s time to talk to him again and see what’s going on with his side of things. I’m going to wait to have any conversations with those guys before I start getting too far along.”
Besides, Miller might just raise his stock a little more as this season goes along and the 2014 Winter Olympics approach.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)