Jan 12, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
David Clarkson is facing his former team on Sunday as his Toronto Maple Leafs square off against the New Jersey Devils, so maybe he can be excused for looking back at brighter times. He didn’t sugarcoat how poorly his debut season has been going to The Bergen Record before tonight’s game.
“(Am I) happy with the way things have gone?” Clarkson asked. “No, there’s no way I’m happy. A 10-game suspension, you’re behind the eight ball. I’m a big believer in first impressions and mine is sitting in the press box up here while everyone gets 10 games in and then you’re trying to catch up. The first 10 games of the season is really when you get out and the season gets going. For me, that didn’t happen and then you’re playing catch up. You’re trying to get back in. Certain things were working. The team was winning.
“So, it’s been a very tough year with all the little things that have gone on throughout the year …”
It’s not just that suspension, either, as the 29-year-old has dealt with another suspension, injuries and inconsistent play to work himself into various “worst free agent signings” lists. He still doesn’t have more points (eight coming into Sunday) than games lost to that first suspension.
If nothing else, he has some sympathy from former teammate Martin Brodeur.
“He’s not a guy that will score tons of goals or is going to be really spectacular,” Brodeur said. “He’s a guy that’s going to fight for his teammates and do a lot of different things out there to make his team successful and just make sure he doesn’t forget that. Even though he doesn’t get the attention maybe he was getting in New Jersey, it will come for him. I’m pretty positive of that.”
Even Clarkson would admit that Brodeur is one of the few who are overly optimistic about his chances of bouncing back, but one may also argue that it only goes up from here.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Seems like a good thing to write about after last night’s game in Columbus.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
His first start of the series.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
“They played hard, but for us it was more what we weren’t doing than what they were doing.”
Apr 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Detroit hosts Boston at the Joe tonight.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Toews won it last year, Bergeron the year before that.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Would be his series debut, and first game since the Sochi Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 0
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 3
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 10
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 19
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 31
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 87
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 100
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)