Jan 12, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
David Clarkson is facing his former team on Sunday as his Toronto Maple Leafs square off against the New Jersey Devils, so maybe he can be excused for looking back at brighter times. He didn’t sugarcoat how poorly his debut season has been going to The Bergen Record before tonight’s game.
“(Am I) happy with the way things have gone?” Clarkson asked. “No, there’s no way I’m happy. A 10-game suspension, you’re behind the eight ball. I’m a big believer in first impressions and mine is sitting in the press box up here while everyone gets 10 games in and then you’re trying to catch up. The first 10 games of the season is really when you get out and the season gets going. For me, that didn’t happen and then you’re playing catch up. You’re trying to get back in. Certain things were working. The team was winning.
“So, it’s been a very tough year with all the little things that have gone on throughout the year …”
It’s not just that suspension, either, as the 29-year-old has dealt with another suspension, injuries and inconsistent play to work himself into various “worst free agent signings” lists. He still doesn’t have more points (eight coming into Sunday) than games lost to that first suspension.
If nothing else, he has some sympathy from former teammate Martin Brodeur.
“He’s not a guy that will score tons of goals or is going to be really spectacular,” Brodeur said. “He’s a guy that’s going to fight for his teammates and do a lot of different things out there to make his team successful and just make sure he doesn’t forget that. Even though he doesn’t get the attention maybe he was getting in New Jersey, it will come for him. I’m pretty positive of that.”
Even Clarkson would admit that Brodeur is one of the few who are overly optimistic about his chances of bouncing back, but one may also argue that it only goes up from here.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)