Jan 12, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Following the Toronto Maple Leafs’ fourth consecutive loss on Friday, Randy Carlyle said that his team has been “begging, pleading, kissing” to gain some confidence. Now they’re exhaling after breaking that skid with a 3-2 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils on Sunday.
“We can breathe,” Carlyle said, according to the Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston. “There’s been a lot of gasping going on.”
Critics will point out that the Maple Leafs haven’t won very often lately during regulation - just two of their nine wins since Nov. 23 have come before overtime or shootouts – but Carlyle’s evocative descriptions make it pretty clear that Toronto will take what it can get.
So, yes, they might be limping, dragging, slumping into contention, but the bottom line is that they’re still in the mix. Even if it’s not always the prettiest sight.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)